CafeTalk Weekly Topic: My State is Actually Famous for the Grand Canyon

 

I taught English in Japan for about four years. I was often surprised by my students reactions when I told them about my home state Arizona. When I met a new student that student asked me “Where are you from?” My first response was my country. I would say “I am from America.” The student would then ask “Where in America are you from?” So I would tell them “I am from Phoenix, Arizona.” Then I would say “Do you know Phoenix, Arizona? Do you know Arizona the state?” The answer, unless they like golfing, is usually “No, I don’t know Phoenix, Arizona.”

The reason most people recognize Arizona is because it is a very popular place for golfers. In fact Hideki Matsuyama just won the Phoenix Open golf tournament for a second time this year. The most famous thing in Arizona though is the Grand Canyon. Most students would look at me with surprise after I told them this. They would say something like “But, the Grand Canyon is next to Las Vegas.” That is true. It is also true that Las Vegas the city is next to Arizona the state, but their surprise is natural. If someone wants to visit the Grand Canyon it is better to fly to Las Vegas, Nevada than fly to Phoenix, Arizona. This is because Phoenix the city is further away than Las Vegas the city.

In the end. Arizona is famous for the Grand Canyon and is nicknamed “Grand Canyon State”. This is even written on our license plates. Maybe to remind people that the Grand Canyon is in our state.

If you are interested in learning English check out my profile at Cafetalk.com where I offer private tutoring.


 プロフィールのリンク

 

コメント