Western shows: The Head

 

Sometimes I get asked by students “What English show would be good to watch?” This can be a tricky question.

Kids shows have simple English, but would be boring for adults. Sitcoms can be very simple stories, but the situations can be hard for Japanese to understand. Comedies can also have simple stories, but humor can be very hard to understand. Suspense can be very interesting, but American shows have become overly complex.

Even I sometimes wonder “What is going on?” when I watch a suspense show like Blacklist.

The Head is a show I can recommend.

The plot is simple. A group of scientists are working in a lab in Antarctica. They are staying through the winter. There is a killer in the group.

The group size is small so no need to try to memorize many names. The story is simple so no need to memorize every detail in English. The story is also very exciting so you won’t get bored. It is a single season story so it doesn’t continue forever. Thus it doesn’t continue to get more and more complicated.

You might even want to watch it more than once.

One difficulty is the relationships of the scientists. The relationships are complex. It is a “Who done it” murder mystery so the relationships must be complex.

Let me know if you have found any shows that were a good fit for your English lessons. I am interested in hearing about them.

If you are interested in learning English check out my profile at Cafetalk.com where I offer private tutoring.


 プロフィールのリンク

コメント